Awesome Tools for Usability Testing
Updated 13 July 2020
Even the best designers and developers are no match for usability testing. Consider your great-Uncle Max, who struggles to end a call on Skype. Every. Single. Time. If your website is not easy-to-use for even the technologically challenged, you will lose people.
Usability tests are carried out to understand user behavior and to modify your website content, design or code accordingly. Big companies do this and with every dollar they spend they make ten to 100 times back from their web business as a result. In the early days usability tests were pricey but not anymore.
Prioritize usability testing to:
- Better understand your users.
- Save users' time by placing website elements exactly where people expect.
- Decrease bounce rates.
- Increase ROI.
- Improve SEO.
Check out these usability testing tools recommended for small to medium business websites. After all, who doesn't want to increase their ROI?
Get information on what's lacking and what's rockin' on your website straight from the horse's (user's) mouth. Feedback tools allow you to ask your customers quick questions that give you an idea of their experience on your site.
1. Polkadot Tiger:
Polkadot Tiger allows you to run multiple SEO A/B metadata tests across different websites to find which title tag or meta description performs the best, from both a ranking and click-through-rate perspective.
You can integrate the tool with your Google Search Console account to include test data.
Polkadot Tiger then allows you to visualize your A/B Metadata test results.
- Run multiple SEO A/B metadata tests on different websites
- Sync Google Search Console
- Visualizes A/B Metadata test results
Pricing: Starts from $50 per month
FullStory offers a deep understanding of how your website visitors interact with your website, allowing you to track them as they navigate your pages through screen recordings so you can see their pain points first-hand.
FullStory claims to capture more interaction data from more users than any other analytics platform on the market.
- Complete, instrumentation-free analytics
- A flourishing ecosystem of integrations
- Micro-survey form on lower-right corner of your web page.
- Live chat integration. Redirects qualified users to a live chat session.
- Intelligent question branching that asks users questions based on their previous answers.
- Library of ready-to-use questions.
Prices range from From $199 to $2250 per month - billed annually.
**Free 14 day trial available.
- Unlimited surveys.
- 32 supported languages.
- SSL encryption.
- Add your own logo (even in the free version).
- Multiple design templates.
- Customizable 'thank you' page.
- Question set types include Demographics, Outcomes, Open Ended and Custom.
- Feedback scorecard.
- Email alerts.
- Real-time analysis and scheduled reports.
Price: A free plan is available with limited features and tailor made packages are available at a cost.
Free Trials are not offered
- Real-time visual user-feedback.
- Multi-language support.
- Recruit participants for an external survey.
- Run polls on different pages.
Prices vary depending on package required.
No free trials but they do offer demos
- Visitor recordings; watch a playback of visitor behavior on your site.
- 400 to over 100 million page views can be recorded per month.
- Visual heatmaps.
- Real-time reporting and analytics.
- Conversion paths.
Pricing is based on the number of records required.
Free Trials aren't available but they do provide demonstrations.
MouseFlow Usability Testing Tool
- Captures clicks, scrolls, form fills and mouse movements.
- Click heatmaps.
- On-page analytics.
- Supports session-based pages on e-commerce sites.
- Quick demo available.
Prices vary from 24 - 299 Euros depending on page views and sessions
Free Trials are not available but they do give demos
- Visual representation of clicks, taps and scrolling behavior.
- Visitor recording.
- conversion funnels allow you to find biggest opportunities.
- Form analysis to improve form completion conversion rates.
- Offer a basic limited plan.
Free Trial: And money back guarantee
Guerilla Usability Testing Tools:
Guerilla usability testing is conducted by employing actual individuals to use your website while you screen record everything. This is helpful especially during the website's design phase to improve your site's usability before it even goes live.
9. Telestream (Screenflow):
- Sessions recording.
- Works for Mac users.
This is not a service so you can purchase for $99.00
Free Trials can be downloaded directly from the site.:
- Both Mac and Windows versions available.
- On-screen recording.
- Share video recordings via email.
Free Trials available
- Schedule your tests.
- Easy and quick editing of colors, images, text and arrangement.
- Multivariate testing available.
- Immediately deploy all visitors to the winning variation. You need not wait for designers or developers to push the design live, thus preserving precious web traffic.
Prices can be obtained through the website.
Free Trials are available
12. Content Experiments:
- Assign certain percentages of your visitors to the variations.
- Get updates via email.
- Great free option for those well versed in Google Analytics.
Free to use but you must have access to Google analytics.
- Can be integrated with Google Analytics.
- Easy HTML and WYSIWYG editor.
- Get real-time data on Google Analytics.
- Auto-piloting features.
- Geo-target by serving variations based on continent, country, state or province.
Price packages range from $499 to $7999/month
Free Trials of all levels are available
VMO Usability Testing Tool
- All-inclusive usability tool including A/B testing.
- Multivariate testing available.
- Easy point-and-click interface.
- Split URL testing.
- More than 15 targeting variation options, e.g., location, system, behavior etc.
Price packages range from $49 to $999 per month
Free Trials are no longer available but you can request a demonstration
These tools include browser, email, mobile and performance-based testing.
Cross Browser Testing Usability Testing Tool
- Test your site on 130 browsers with 25 different operating systems (OSs) and mobile devices.
- Real customer OSs used.
- Automated screenshots to verify and compare the layout of your site across multiple browsers, operating systems and devices.
Prices from $22 - $199 and options for custom packages
Free Trial available.
- Test your website performance on smartphones (Galaxy S, iPhone 5, Motorola XOOM, Nexus S and tablets (iPad).
- Enable video recording of page-load times.
17. Web Page Test:
- Developed and supported by Google.
- Compare site performance with competitors'.
- Browser performance testing.
- Mobile testing with video capture (powered by Mobitest).
Free Trial: None
Well, what are you waiting for? Try these out and give us your feedback!